Thursday, June 4, 2009

Trail of St Paul (Part 3) (Updated)

The Sabah pilgrims on arrival at Istanbul airport. Squatting (centre) is Fr. Fundes. Click to enlarge.


The Italian nuns at Tarsus (centre) with (from left) Sr. Rita, Fr. Fundes and Sr. Dolores and a Sabah pilgrim. Click to enlarge.
A group photo with the Italian nuns inside the Tarsus Church. Click to enlarge.

The Sabah pilgrims led by Rev. Fr. Fundes outside the Church at Tarsus. Click to enlarge.


The Church at Tarsus where we had our first Mass in Turkey. Click to enlarge.

Some of the Sabah pilgrims at St Paul's well. Click to enlarge.


St Paul's well at Tarsus. Water can still be drawn from it. At left is Rev.Fr. Fundes. Click to enlarge.


Signpost at St Paul's well. Click to enlarge.


The ruins of the ancient Tarsus town as seen from the balcony where we had lunch. Notice the road in the middle. In background is the new town. The old town was buried a few meters below where it was discovered. Click to enlarge.


Where we had our first meal, the Kebab, in Tarsus. We were seated on the balcony upstairs overlooking the ruins of the ancient Tarsus town. Click to enlarge.


Signboard explaining Cleopatra's Gate In Tarsus. Click to enlarge.


Cleopatra's Gate in Tarsus, Turkey. Click to enlarge.

Map of Turkey. Click to enlarge.

I would like to begin by saying that I missed out something in my last post. I forgot to mention that after lunch at Tarsus and on our way to Antioch, we stopped by the famous and romantic spot where Cleopatra met Mark Anthony. It's called Cleopatra's Gate. I do apologise for this omission and to make up for it I post its picture in this part. Actually, as my fellow bloggers would know, I can still include it in my last post by editing it. But I choose not to do so because my visitors who had read Part 2 most probably wouldn't want to go back to it. But for the information of those who care to do so, I have updated Part 2.

For this part, I will post pictures from our visit to Tarsus, the birth place of Saul (later St Paul) on last Saturday, our first day in Turkey. I will write less and show more, as 'A picture paints a thousand words'. I know we have been in Turkey a few days by now but as I said it's better late than never. I also include a map of Turkey here so that you would be in a better position to visualise where Adana and Tarsus are in relation to Istanbul and Ankara (Turkey's capital). You may want to search the Net for more or better maps of Turkey.


No comments: