Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happiness is....(Part 2)

Happiness is....well, getting married; presumably to the one you love. (The father of the groom in his speech tonite reminded that we are no longer living in the age of forced or pre-arranged marriage like before.)

It's not me though who is getting married. Went through that in 1981. As they say, been there, done that.

I am talking about Simeon Sipaun and Rosni Maladu who were married at the Sacred Heart Cathedral in Kota Kinabalu, the State Capital of Sabah this morning. My wife and I attended their reception at Putera Theatre Ballroom at Bukit Padang a few hours ago.

Simeon is the son of Mr Stephen Sipaun, a retired Kadazan senior civil servant from the Kivatu village in Penampang near Kota Kinabalu and Mdm. Betty Kondu.

Stephen, in turn, is the brother of former Sabah State Secretary (Tan Sri) Simon Sipaun. So needless to say, Simon who is now Vice-Chairman of the Malaysian Human Rights Commission (Suhakam), was among the hundreds of guests present tonite.

Rosni is the daughter of Mr Maladu Tovodso and Mdm. Mantiling Banjiran from the Rungus community in the Kudat area. A good mix which is in line with the 1Malaysia slogan. Or should I say 1Sabah or even 1Borneo?

Congratulations to Simeon and Rusni.

P/S: Which reminds me of my trip to Turkey in June. Our male Muslim Turkish guide was telling us that a Muslim man cannot marry more than one in Turkey. I then told him that in Malaysia, which is also an Islamic country like Turkey, a Muslim man can marry up to four; albeit with conditions. His reaction: "Tell me, tell me, how to migrate to Malaysia!"

(Footnote: No offence meant to my Muslim readers. The above is just meant to show how liberal we are in Malaysia. Mind you, a few Muslim Malaysian women actually started a Polygamy Club supporting their husbands marrying more than one! Looks like we better be ready for the influx of Muslim men from Turkey! They are, after all, tall and handsome plus with their mixed Bollywood/Arabic/Orang Putih good looks.)

1 comment:

ArMs said...

A big congrats to Simeon and Rusni!