Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Most Eligible Bachelor's Raya 'do'



You would recall that just before the fasting month started in mid-September, I wrote the Breaking News that one of Sabah's most (if not the most) eligible bachelors was about to end his bachelorhood. I reported that State Legislative Assemblyman for Membakut, Haji Arrifin Ariff would marry the equally-eligible daughter of the Chief Minister, Datuk Seri Musa Haji Aman after Hari Raya (culmination of the fasting month). I also wrote that Sabah's marriage-of-the-year is to take place in Sandakan near Musa's constituency of Sungai Sibuga on Oct 20. However, at the time of writing then no one was willing to confirm nor deny my report. Neither did the local papers dare to 'lift' my story, preferring to wait for the official announcement by the CM's office. At that time I was also unable to give you the lucky girl's name (of course Arrifin is equally lucky if not more lucky).

Weeks passed and nothing happened. Finally a reader e-mailed me to ask what happened to the follow-up on this story which I was supposed to do. This gave me an instant reminder of my promise and prompted me to drive all the way to Arrifin's home at Pimping village in Membakut, this morning to attend his Hari Raya open house (for which one does not need an invitation, that's the beauty of Malaysia); hoping to take a glimpse of the bride-to-be and hopefully take a picture of the duo. But alas, how disappointed was I as she was not there. According to her fiance, she was in Kota Kinabalu (KK), Sabah's state capital, apparently busy preparing for the big day. Mind you, it was more than an hour's drive from my house near KK and by the time we (my wife and son accompanied me) arrived we were thoroughly hungry, having missed breakfast as we didn't want to be late or miss the all-important picture. However, our disappointment was compensated by the good food as we were invited to eat even before we could sit down, another unique feature of Malaysian hospitality.

But all was not lost. I managed to ask the YB (the Honourable in the Malay language) her name and he gave it as Miss Jenny Natasha. I even got the Assemblyman to reveal his age and he said 44. I don't think he was joking as a mutual friend had told me that the eligible bachelor was around that age. I however did not ask for her age as it may be impolite. As they say, never ask a lady her age. But I think you and I can make a good guess because the YB told me that she is a final year student at a local university in KK. I didn't get to ask how they met but don't worry as the big day is only a week away so all the details will by then come out in the local press. For the benefit of non-Sabahan readers, I will also of course update you on this matter from time to time.

In the picture above, Ariffin (center) is seen with a group of well-wishes at his Hari Raya open house today. 2nd from the right (with dark glasses) is veteran Beaufort district (under which comes Membakut) politician Datuk Haji Thaufeck Haji Asneh. Thaufeck had been both Member of Parliament and State Assemblyman at the height of his political career between the Usno and Berjaya eras during the 1970s-80s. (For a larger view, please click on picture)

In the meantime, heartiest congratulations to the groom and bride-to-be and Selamat Hari Raya to them and all my Muslim friends wherever they may be. May God continue to bless us all so that our beloved country Malaysia and beloved State Sabah will continue to prosper and continue to become a shinning example to others by way of our racial harmony and religious tolerance despite our multi-ethnicity.

(Footnote: Apart from being an Assemblyman, Ariffin is also the Chairman of the powerful Sabah Native Affairs Council whose duties include appointing/firing Native Chiefs and Village Headmen and endorsing a Sabahan's native status.)

No comments: