Friday, May 30, 2008

Mirror,Mirror On The Wall....




Mirror, Mirror On The Wall, Who's The Fairest of Them All?

The month-long Harvest or Kaamatan Festival celebrated throughout Sabah beginning May 1 is drawing to a close. The Hongkod Koisaan, headquarters building of the Kadazan-Dusun Culural Association (KDCA) along Penampang Road in Kota Kinabalu, capital of Sabah is where the action is from May 29-31.

As usual, the most-awaited programme or highlight of the State-level Harvest 'do' is the beauty contest to select the Kadazan-Dusun beauty queen or Unduk Ngadau. 36 local beauties representing their districts from all over Sabah will vie for the coveted title. Apart from fame and cash prizes, the winner will get a scholarship to study at the Asia Tourism Institute (ATI) in Kota Kinabalu.

Previous Unduk Ngadaus since the early 1960s have gone on to become successful professionals in their chosen fields, including singing, acting or even business. Some of course ended up marrying the most eligible bachelors (no offence meant). One of the past Unduk Ngadau is Daphne Iking, now a well-known TV personality in Malaysia.

So, who is it going to be this year? The answer will be known tomorrow evening. Meanwhile, take you pick. Above are all 36 of the hopefuls. Click on the images to enlarge. Pictures courtesy of New Sabah Times.

Once again, Happy Harvest Festival or, in the Kadazan-Dusun language - Kotobian Tagazo Do Kaamatan!

Despite my statement yesterday that I will only continue blogging after the Kaamatan holidays, I feel that I would be failing in my duty if I don't report this one. After all, in my younger days, I used to take pictures of them every year. But not now. People may look at me with all kinds of speculations, like what is this old man doing among the young photographers?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I THINK MISS TUARAN IS THE BEST BECAUSE I COME FROM TAMPARULI.... TAPI ITU BAHAR SUDAH HABIS