Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Eat More Borneo Fruits

The upper half of the advertisement.
(Click on image for a larger view)
The lower half of the advertisement.
(Click on image for a larger view)

I reproduce here an advertisement inserted by the Malaysian government in local newspapers recently. The advertisement was issued by the Ministry of Tourism in conjunction with the 'Colours of Malaysia' festival last month.

In view of the title of the festival, one would naturally think of a cultural extravaganza including parading traditional dances, lights and so on. It is however good thinking on the part of the Ministry to take the opportunity to also promote Malaysian fruits.

Although the festival which was held last month is now over, there are two reasons why I reproduce this ad. Firstly, to encourage my fellow-bloggers and visitors to my blog to eat more local fruits. I think we need to be more patriotic (National Day is next month) and support our local fruits industry. I am sure we have relatives who are farmers. Those of you who are well-traveled or well-read would know that all countries in the world are proud of their produce which they export including fruits. So why can't we be proud of ours?

In any case local fruits are much cheaper than imported ones and yet the vitamins are the same if not better. I mean if you want to eat, once in a while, Carlifornia oranges which are not grown in Malaysia, what to do lah! That's your right, I know. I don't know about you, but in my case the money that I save by buying local fruits instead of imported ones can certainly be put to good use like filling my car's petrol tank! I mean, before the fuel price hike, RM60 can fill my MyVi 1.3's tank already but now only 3/4 full.


The second reason why I reproduce this ad is that I cant help but notice that apart from the main Jom Makan-Makan (Let's Go Eat) or Citrarasa Malaysia (Taste of Malaysia) event held in the national capital Kuala Lumpur from June 6-8, supporting events were also held in other other States except Sabah! Melaka had theirs from May 30-June 1, Johor June 6-8, Pahang June 13-15, Terengganu June 20-22, and Sarawak June 20-22.

I can understand that the event was not held in Kelantan, Kedah, Perlis, Penang and Selangor because these States are now governed by the Opposition (Pakatan Rakyat). Just in case the people in the Ministry of Tourism forgot, I would like to remind them that Sabah has since 1994 been governed by the BN!

If the excuse of the Ministry is that Sabah was busy with the Harvest Festival, I would like to remind them that so was Sarawak. Infact, we had our Kaamatan at the end of May two days before our neighbouring State had their Gawai . Besides, if the Federal Government can hold its national-level Kaamatan do in Sabah on the very same day that we had our State-level 'do', which was on May 31, I can't see why the 'Fruits Fest', as I call it, can't be extended to Sabah. They had the whole month of June to do it! As the Malay saying goes, "If you really want to do something then there are 1,000 ways or reasons to do it, but if you don't want to do something, there will also be 1,000 excuses!".

I hope the Ministry won't come up with the excuse that Sabah has no unique local fruits. Who says so? Infact, some of our unique fruits are not even found in Peninsular Malaysia. One good example is the Tarap. In 1982, as a young officer I was chosen by the Sabah government to participate in a week-long goodwill study tour of West Malaysia organised by the National Unity Department.

Part of of programme saw us visiting farms and orchards in the Peninsular. By the time we were about to leave for home, we had tasted almost every kind of fruits found there except Tarap. It seems that their version of Tarap is a wild fruit found only in the forests and seldom eaten. This led one of our participants, the late Bishop Datuk Simon Fung, to remark to our West Malaysian friend: "Next time come to Sabah to eat Tarap."

So, Ministry of Tourism and Sabah Members of Parliament, if you are reading this, please make sure that Sabah is in next year.


No comments: